Creating a Breast Prosthesis
We keep care simple, personal and streamlined. We listen to our patients and answer questions honestly. Our office is designed for patient comfort, privacy and convenience.
Questions You May Have
Each prosthesis is custom-made ensuring high quality and individual design. Our process requires two or three appointments in addition to the initial consultation.
- Molds are made of the affected area using gentle materials.
- The shape of the prosthesis is carefully sculpted as we establish a natural contour.
- Three or more colors are formulated to match individual skin-tones using health grade silicone.
- The prosthesis is checked for precise fit and color details are delicately painted.
- Wear and care instructions are demonstrated so that the prosthesis can be used with confidence.
We enjoy spending time with patients as we work, but we are as efficient as possible. Some appointments are lengthy (2 hours) as we develop the shape, perfect the fit, and blend the prosthesis with your complexion. You can help us by wearing neutral colors (grey, black, tan or white) to your appointments.
A breast prosthesis is usually completed in two to three weeks. However, we accommodate patients from across the country by consolidating appointment schedules to minimize time away from home — completing the prosthesis in just a few days.
Breast prostheses are reconstructive—and are generally physician ordered to replace missing or malformed anatomy. Most medical insurance policies cover prosthetic devices when ordered by a physician as a medical necessity. With your permission we will prior-authorize the treatment plan you select and help you predetermine your benefits.